Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Customized Halloween Skelton

So I just finished re-painting this skeleton decoration for our house. I forgot to take "before" pics, unfortunately, but it used to have a hot pink body with black eyes and mouth (basically all the orange used to be black, and all the black used to be pink...). It was really faded from being out in the sun all the time, as we usually just keep it up year round, so I thought I'd fix him up. Here's his full body: This project was sort of a pain in the ass, like a lot of stuff I do, but ended up looking pretty good. My original intention was to paint him all orange underneath and then do a top-coat of black that would leave the indented parts (eyes, fingers...) untouched and still orange, but the black kept getting in all the crevices (not to mention the fact that I started painting him with orange acrylic paint with a brush that wasn't covering the original black areas very well, so then I had to spray paint him orange on both sides, but I didn't have enough of the good orange color, so half of him is more of a tangerine...). So I then just painted him all black and went back in to do the details in orange over the top, which was tough because my paints aren't very thick/opaque, so it took a bunch of coats and you can still see black underneath... Then I lightly sanded down the black areas to give him a "scratched" effect, and you can see the orange underneath (this worked out great because the spray paint was really glossy and the black overcoat just sanded right off perfectly!). Finally, I gave him a coat of spray lacquer and hung him up.
He looks good, but I should note that I only painted orange details one side of him, partly because I was fed up with having to do so many coats to make it look good, and also because the nail in his head that he is hung up by won't come out, so I couldn't really hang him up the other way, anyway. The other side of his face is a scary face, instead of a goofy one, which is why any of that matters.
Hope you like it!
Also, in regards to the candy corn earrings, as I said before, they are finished and turned out great, but since they are so small, all my attempts to photograph the final product have just turned out blurry, so I guess we're done, on that front...

No comments:

Post a Comment