Monday, October 5, 2009

Full disclosure, AND candy corn earrings...

I started this blog as a lame attempt to put up some "clever" vampire fiction, hence the "Eternally Pushing Thirty" title, meaning that the person writing it would remain in her late twenties for all time... Yeah, so that never really came together, but what I realized just a few minutes ago was that, as an artist and creator of various neat-o things, I actually had something valuable to contribute to the internet: I could document all the stuff that I do in regards to arts and crafts and fun projects! 

I should say, what I'm really itching to put up is all of the stuff that I can't find info for online, already. Like the red tree from Penelope, there is a blank spot on the Worldwide Web for a lot of this stuff that I want to make. My peeves right now are not enough sites/info dealing with making polymer clay look like draped glass (I'll get to that one eventually. I want to get it to look like blown glass chandeliers and stuff! Should be cool!!!), the red tree (obviously...), and making candy corn earrings...

Now, I tried to buy candy corn earrings. At Walmart they are ugly as fuck; too big, dangly, and with a weird bow on the bottom. Not cute and petite for my roommate's pixie ears, at all... I looked at Halloween sections of some other places and didn't really see anything useful either. I'm going to try looking at a bead store for candy corn beads, or even blank triangley shapes that I can paint to look like candy corns:

This is close to what I want them to look like... What I was searching for online was whether or not I could just lacquer some ACTUAL MADE-FROM-SUGAR candy corns and super-glue some earring backs onto them and have them serve as workable earrings, at least for the rest of October. I don't see why it would be a problem, except that if they were handled too abruptly, they might get bent or melt or get sugary all over her ears... but if the lacquer is sealing it? I don't know. I'll set off to answer this question over the next few days.

Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment